Thursday, January 29, 2015

Letterpress on T-shirts

I had fun experimenting with letterpress on t-shirts with other creatives. The shirts were designed and made by Korai. It wasn't the easiest because letterpress in my opinion isn’t made for t-shirt type material. Still I had to try it out for myself to understand the pros and cons. The pros were the modern/vintage effects obtained. The cons were the difficulty in obtaining a clean print or making sure the roller didn’t get snagged on the cloth.

WILLIAM BLAKE’S ‘TIGER TIGER’
LETTERPRESS AND HANDSET IN WOOD  TYPE


'BE HAPPY' LETTEPRESS AND HANDSET TYPE
 The misses outweighed the hits. I haven’t completely concluded printing on fabric, but the texture will have to be slightly heavier and won’t likely be on t-shirts.
We chose to overprint the bejeebees out of a quote from that popular 90s series Beverly Hills 90210 “may all the bridges I burn light my way”, and the William Blake poem Tiger Tiger in a zig-zagged composition. We also repeated the simple and not so simple “Be Happy” saying. All in all, a good exercise.
‘MAY ALL THE BRIDGES I BURN, LIGHT MY WAY’
OVERPRINT LETTERPRESS | HANDSET TYPE